School Nurses

Laura, Louise and Lindsay staff the Clifton High School Medical Centre, which is open between 8:30-5:00pm each day. The Medical Centre has three beds including an isolation room where pupils can be closely monitored awaiting collection.  

The Nurses are trained to deal with illness and injury to pupils, staff or visitors to Clifton High School, this includes training in the use of the onsite Automated External Defibrillator. 

The Clifton High School Nursing Team have a range of NHS nursing backgrounds including Public Health, paediatric specialities and pain management. Laura previously worked at Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, Great Ormond Street and Chelsea & Westminster Hospitals, eventually specialising in children’s haematology, oncology and bone marrow transplant. Lindsay worked within Southmead and Frenchay Hospital, Charlton Farm Hospice and Lifetime, specialising in Women’s and Children’s Health and Children’s life limiting conditions. 

Our medical team help to provide a vast range of services to the school community, keeping children safe and happy, enabling them to reach their full potential and make their school experience a happy one. They manage both acute and chronic health conditions and work with families and primary health care providers to ensure the best outcome for each child. They work alongside the Pastoral Team and School Counsellor, Jackie Brangwyn, to ensure the children’s mental health and wellbeing needs are met as comprehensively as possible.   

The School Nurses also co-ordinate, with Sirona, to provide immunisations on site at school, following the UK’s immunisation programme

They are all passionate about providing the best care to the pupils at Clifton High School. We see pupils throughout the school day or can offer appointments to pupils to suit their individual needs. We work closely with all class teachers and heads of year to provide the best individual care to each child. We endeavour to be visible and accessible to pupils, so pupils will often see us outside of the medical room, sometimes helping to deliver health promotion topics within the classroom.  

Please email if you have any questions, queries or concerns – The School Nurses are very happy to help with any enquiries you may have. 

School mobile number 07770014248

Lindsay Bailey 

Laura Lynch

Frequently Asked Questions

My child is unwell, how long do I need to keep them off school?

We want our students to be fit and healthy, to ensure they enjoy school and work to the best of their ability.  However, we all know children do get ill frequently and of course being a school, illnesses can spread quickly.  We do ask, for the sake of all children (and staff) that if your child is unwell you keep them at home and only bring them back to school when they are better or when the required time frame has passed.  

The Health Protection Agency provides guidance on infection control in schools. Common illnesses and more are listed with guidance on the necessary exclusion periods from school.


How do I check if my child is up to date with his/her immunisations?  

Your child’s immunisation status will be checked at school entry and at the time of any vaccination. It’s best to have vaccines on time, but you can still catch up on most vaccines if you miss them. Any missed immunisations can be organised through your child’s GP, who will also hold an up to date record of what immunisations they have received. This link from the NHS lists all immunisations and when to have them.  


We have recently moved to the area, how do I find a GP, dentist and optician?  

Click on these links to access information on local health care professionals  

Find a GP 

Find a Dentist 

Find an Optician 


How can I access medical help from home? 

If it’s an emergency, make sure you call 999. If you need advice you can call 111 or access the NHS 111 website here to find out when and where to get help near you. You can also request to be contacted by a nurse, if needed.  

If you need help in other languages, you can call 111 and ask for an interpreter.  


Should I attend A&E or an Urgent Treatment/ Minor Injuries Unit?  

An Urgent Treatment or Minor Injuries Unit can treat injuries and illnesses that are not critical or life-threatening. You may wish to consider attending if it is suitable for the type of injury or illness that you have.  

Conditions that can be treated at an urgent treatment centre include:

  • sprains and strains 

  • suspected broken limbs 

  • minor head injuries  

  • cuts and grazes 

  • bites and stings 

  • minor scalds and burns 

  • ear and throat infections 

  • skin infections and rashes 

  • eye problems 

  • coughs and colds 

  • high temperature in child and adults 

  • stomach pain 

  • Vomiting and diarrhoea  

  • emergency contraception

You can find your local Urgent Care Centre using this link.  


I’ve run out of medication at home, what should I do?  

If you’ve run out of your child’s prescribed medication out of hours, you can find out how to get an emergency prescription by following this link.  


I’m worried about my child’s mental health and wellbeing, where can I access help and support?  

A great starting point is to contact your child’s teacher or form tutor to discuss options within school. Alternatively, the school nurses are also available Monday to Friday via telephone 0117 933 9096 or our confidential email service Clifton High School benefits from a counselling service in school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Referrals for counselling can be made via a School Nurse or a member of staff. Parents of Year 1 – 6 pupils can also make referrals via the pupil’s class teacher. Alternatively, pupils can self-refer themselves. Self-referrals can be made directly with the counsellor, on a letter or note left in the box outside the counselling room, or email or via a text message to the school counselling phone. The counsellors’ contact details are found on posters around the School. 

 A consent form will need to be completed by parents for pupils in the infants and juniors wishing to see the counsellor. This can be given or emailed to your child’s teacher or the School Nurses.  

A wealth of resources can be found here, to aid you in supporting your child.  


My child is having problems sleeping or getting to sleep?  

A good sleeping pattern is essential for your child’s physical and mental wellbeing. If you’re having difficulties at home, you can access help and advice online, with healthy sleep tips for childrenteenagers and adults. If things don’t improve, your next step would be to book an appointment with your GP to discuss your options.  

Simple lifestyle changes can make a world of difference to your quality of sleep - Ten tips to beat insomnia.   


My child is bedwetting, what should I do?  

Many children under the age of 5 wet the bed. It can take some time for a child to learn to stay dry throughout the night. Bedwetting is common and often runs in families. It can be upsetting, but most children and young people will grow out of it. 

The NICE guidelines on bedwetting in under 19s recommend that children are seen by a health care professional such as a doctor or nurse if they are still wet over the age of five years. Book an appointment to see your GP if you’ve tried things at home and your child keeps wetting the bed or if your child has started wetting the bed again after being dry for more than 6 months.  

ERIC has lots of information and practical tips about treating this common childhood condition and ways to make life a little bit easier.