Futures and Skills
Our Futures and Skills programme is designed to add to each student's experience in the Sixth Form at Clifton High. Each week all members of the Sixth Form receive high quality and engaging lessons designed to help them make informed decisions about their futures as well as developing their skills. Each year the course is adapted to meet the needs and interests of the Sixth Form group. There is an opportunity at the start of the course for students to suggest features they would like to be incorporated. Helping students nurture their individuality is extremely important to us at Clifton High. For some sessions Years 12 and 13 are combined, at other times they are grouped separately.
We offer a tutor led programme to support students as they consider their higher education options. Our Head of Futures and Skills and Head of Sixth Form then spend time with their tutees preparing them for their university applications. This can include honing university applications and personal statements, preparing for interview or just talking through the various paths available to get students to desired career choices.
Each year we host our ‘Futures and Skills Evening’ when a wide variety of specialists from the world of work and academia talk to our students about how they can excel in their professional field. We also have a wide range of links from experts outside the school that are on hand to give advice and guidance, and come into school to talk to our students. These include university admissions tutors, academics, and business professionals. We also encourage students to join our Clifton Connects LinkedIn group.
Previous topics in the Futures and Skills programme have included:
- Preparation for university: Skills preparation, ‘what will university be like?’, financing university, UCAS, Oxbridge entrance, applying for medicine, veterinary school and law, psychometric tests, interview technique
- Debating and public speaking
- Enterprise and innovation: Starting a business, Young Enterprise, Prince’s Trust
- First aid
Depending on the Sixth Form group the programme may incorporate:
- Charitable work and enriching the lives of others
- Debate and discussion of topical and important issues
- Employment issues
- Understanding politics
- Challenging yourself
- Life skills: DIY, sex education, alcohol and drugs education, first aid, managing your finances, vehicle maintenance
- Planning a year-out and voluntary work overseas
The programme provides our students with valuable skills and knowledge which will help prepare them for their futures beyond Clifton High School.