The aim of the Adventure programme is to enable skill development, self-confidence, resilience and teamwork. Pupils are given the opportunity to spend time outdoors, take on some exciting challenges, increase their confidence and allow them to extend their appreciation for the natural world.
We have teamed up with Mendip Outdoor Pursuits, Belmont Estate and Oxfordshire Outdoors to create a bespoke outdoor education programme designed to enrich the learning of every pupil in the School. The programme is designed to be as sustainable as possible, it uses the minimum amount of transport, and had no packaging and paper waste associated with it.
- Weekly Adventure morning for each year group
- Visits to the Mendip adventure centre try introductory sessions in outdoor pursuits
- Forest School sessions in our own designated area of the woodland
- Teacher-led outdoor activities such as nature studies, art and creative writing
- Beach School 2 where they will incorporate art, design, construction, science and drama
- Farm School where pupils learn about animal and crop farming and how it arrives on our plate, together with activities on the farm such as pond dipping
- Sustainability School sessions where pupils explore the natural environment of the Belmont Estate and learn about rewilding, conservation and nature.
- Weekly Adventure afternoon for each year group
- Take part in a range of activities around the Mendips, run by Mendip Outdoor Pursuits
- Follow a main pursuit each term where they complete a progressive course and are then awarded with an e-certificate
- Optional expeditions at the end of each main pursuit course
- Take part in hikes linked in with their current curricular themes
Senior School, the new provision will include:
- Weekly extra-curricular courses
- Curricular field trips; for example English Creative Writing lessons in the Quantocks, Biology lessons on the South West coastline
- End of year and bonding trips
- Opportunities for coaching on individual pursuit sports
- Duke of Edinburgh training and qualification
- Sustainability lessons at Belmont Estate linked with the Biology and Geography curriculum